The Alliance’s vision is a world equipped to prevent as far as possible the emergence of health security threats and, where this cannot be done, quickly detect and effectively respond to them—particularly where those threats have the potential to cause harms on a national, regional or global scale.
To realise its vision, the Alliance operates primarily by facilitating thematic dialogues on the technical and financial challenges that countries face as they seek to build their prevention, detection and response capabilities, with a clear view to identifying practical solutions and where necessary facilitating assistance from international sources.
The Alliance will also seek to assemble and disseminate information for policymakers on international cooperation in of support of the implementation of NAPHS, including best-practice examples and guidance.
Based on experience accumulated during its first two years of operation, the Alliance’s Advisory Group has identified five areas in which the Alliance is best placed to add value to existing efforts and partnerships:
- maintaining demand for the maximum possible transparency in the preparation of JEEs, Performance of Veterinary Services (PVS) evaluations and related processes, and NAPHS, in order to underpin effective international cooperation on capacity building;
- contributing from a “user” perspective, as implementing countries or sources of external assistance, to the continuous improvement of voluntary assessment tools and processes;
- aggregating and disseminating qualitative and quantitative information on specific health security initiatives at the country, regional and global levels, particularly where domestic investment in such initiatives is supported by international development cooperation;
- maintaining demand for, and promoting good-practice examples of, multi-sectoral collaboration in the development and implementation of NAPHS; and
- providing a platform for focused and specialised dialogue on financing and capacity-building needs and practical response options at the country, regional and thematic levels.